Many of our members are happy to go single sculling alone or in groups, with outings most mornings from about 7am, but active rowing members may wish to join one of the club squads, to enable them to train and race alongside other members of similar abilities.
We have a number of different squads active within the club, which each offer a friendly and supportive environment for members to train together with other members of similar abilities, and if they wish, compete for the club at local, national, and international regattas, as appropriate.
An overview of each of the squads is set out below – please click on the links for more detailed information.
- Senior Women – this squad trains regularly and competes at the top end national regattas such as Henley Women’s Regatta and the National Championships, with some members also seeking GB or Home International selection (see also International Representation).
- Masters Women – this squad caters for masters women (age 27+) of all ages and abilities, and is split into sub-groups to cater for those who are able to train during the day and those who are training around work commitments.
- Masters Men – there is a large group of racing Masters men (mainly Masters D+).
- Senior Men – we are re-starting our senior men’s program this summer with a view to regaining MAA’s position as a leading men’s sweep and sculling program. Please get in touch with the head coach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For those who prefer a more leisurely approach there is also a Mixed Masters Recreational Group.
- Development squad – Graduates from the Learn to Row course and others are helped to bridge the experience gap so that they can compete in novice racing and/or become ready to join one of the other squads.
If you have never rowed before, but would like to learn, please take a look at our Learn to Row programme.
We are very lucky to have a fantastic team of coaches at MAABC, made up of a mix of paid professional coaches and volunteers.
Coaching is offered to all members, regardless of standard, subject to the coaching team’s availability. For those members who wish to venture out on the Tideway before work over the winter, the coaching team try to ensure that you are always accompanied by a launch in the interests of safety.