We have a number of different squads active within the club, which each offer a friendly and supportive environment for members to train together with other members of similar abilities, and if they wish, compete for the club at local, national, and international regattas.
Although by no means compulsory, all active rowing members are encouraged to join one of the club squads, to enable them to train and race alongside other members of similar abilities.
An overview of each of the squads is set out below – please click on the links for more detailed information.
- Senior Women – this squad trains regularly and competes at the top end national regattas such as Henley Women’s Regatta and the National Championships, with some members also seeking GB selection (see also International Representation).
- Intermediate Men and Women – Includes those who are competent to race at novice level or who have won at novice level so they can develop their skills and experience to compete and be successful at intermediate level.
- Development squad – Includes graduates from the Learn to Row who are taken to the stage where they are competent and safe on the water/during land training and can compete in novice racing and/or be part of a club group that does not race (recreational).
- Masters Women – this squad caters for masters women (age 27+) of all ages and abilities, and is split into sub-groups to cater for those who are able to train during the day and those who are training around work commitments.
- Masters Men – this squad caters for masters men (mainly Masters C+), and is split into both racing and recreational sub-groups.
If you have never rowed before, but would like to learn, please take a look at our Learn to Row programme.
We are very lucky to have a fantastic team of coaches at MAABC, made up of a mix of paid professional coaches and volunteers.
Coaching is offered to all members, regardless of standard, subject to the coaching team’s availability. For those members who wish to venture out on the Tideway before work over the winter, the coaching team try to ensure that you are always accompanied by a launch in the interests of safety.